Chicago Gang Boss Luther Spann Gets Life Sentence in 2026
Labar 'Bro Man' Spann received a life sentence for racketeering conspiracy and four murders as chief of the Four Corner Hustlers gang.
Labar “Bro Man” Spann got life in federal court Monday, the mandatory end point of a prosecution that ran through two juries, one tainted conviction, and a decade’s worth of alleged bloodshed on Chicago’s West Side.
U.S. District Judge Thomas Durkin imposed the sentence after a December jury found Spann guilty on racketeering conspiracy charges and held him responsible for four murders. Under the statute, Durkin didn’t have a choice in the matter.
“You’ll breathe your last breath in jail,” Durkin told Spann from the bench. “You’ll die in jail. That won’t bring back the people you killed.”
Spann’s been in a wheelchair since a 1999 shooting. That didn’t stop him from greeting the proceedings with something close to contempt. When Durkin said imposing the sentence gave him “no pleasure,” Spann laughed out loud. Moments later, he looked at the court and declared he had “nothing to do with the Four Corner Hustlers.”
“I’m my own man,” he said.
Federal prosecutors spent years building an argument that ran in the opposite direction. According to the government, Spann ran the Four Corner Hustlers as a West Side Chicago operation built on violence, murdering people without hesitation and bragging afterward about what he’d done. The Four Corner Hustlers have roots going back decades on the West Side, and federal authorities said Spann kept control of the organization through fear and force.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Emily Vermylen laid it out plainly during the six-week trial that wrapped in December. “Make no mistake,” she told jurors, “the defendant sitting in front of you is a killer.”
Monday’s sentence was a long time coming. A jury had already convicted Spann back in 2021, but that verdict fell apart when it emerged that a former prosecutor had made an “unauthorized” promise to a key witness. It’s the kind of misconduct that forces courts to act, and it did: Spann got a second trial. That retrial ran six weeks and produced a fresh December conviction on racketeering conspiracy and additional counts, leaving Durkin exactly where the statute put him.
The prosecutorial misconduct that wrecked the 2021 conviction cast a long shadow over both proceedings. Defense attorneys argued from the start that the government had poisoned its own case. The Chicago Sun-Times tracked the case through both trials and reported on questions the episode raised about oversight inside the U.S. Attorney’s office. None of it moved the second jury.
Deliberations in the 2026 retrial ended with guilty verdicts on every count the government needed to trigger a mandatory life term. The jury’s work left Durkin no room to maneuver, and he didn’t try to find any.
The Four Corner Hustlers have faced sustained federal pressure for years, with prosecutors working through the organization’s leadership ranks using RICO statutes as the primary tool. Those statutes, drawn from criminal resource manual section 109, allow prosecutors to charge entire criminal enterprises rather than pursuing individual actors one at a time. It’s a strategy the Justice Department has deployed across Chicago gang prosecutions with increasing regularity.
Spann’s attorneys haven’t yet announced whether they’ll pursue appeal rights under federal criminal procedure, though the prosecutorial misconduct history in this case gives them something to work with on that front. Any appeal would face the weight of two jury verdicts pointing in the same direction.
He’s 04 years into fighting this case through federal courts and he’s lost it decisively. The man who laughed at a judge handing him a life sentence will now serve that sentence. Durkin wasn’t wrong to point it out plainly: Spann won’t walk out of a federal institution. Four families on Chicago’s West Side won’t get back what they lost either.
That’s the summary of Monday in Judge Durkin’s courtroom. Life, with no discretion applied.