Chicago Council Fails to Override Subminimum Wage Veto
Chicago City Council fell four votes short of overriding Mayor Brandon Johnson's veto of a measure to freeze the tipped worker subminimum wage phase-out.
The Chicago City Council fell short Wednesday on a veto override vote, keeping Mayor Brandon Johnson’s tipped-wage policy intact and handing him his third straight veto victory.
The numbers were plain. The override failed 30-19, four votes short of the 34 required under City Council rules. The Illinois Restaurant Association and its aldermanic allies had spent weeks working nine council members whose wards carry significant restaurant business, hunting for four flips. None moved.
Not one.
The outcome means Chicago’s restaurant servers, bartenders, and other tipped workers will keep seeing their hourly pay climb toward full parity with the city’s standard minimum wage, on the schedule set when the phase-out was first enacted.
Johnson blocked the freeze last month. The measure he vetoed would’ve locked tipped workers at 76 percent of the minimum wage, a pause the restaurant industry wanted. They argued that Chicago’s eating and drinking establishments couldn’t absorb higher labor costs in a tough economy. Johnson didn’t buy it, and his senior adviser Jason Lee said so plainly after Wednesday’s vote.
“It’s a victory for working people who need to have fair wages so they can afford to live in the city and stay in Chicago,” Lee said. “At a time when people are struggling to make ends meet, lowering people’s wages by potentially thousands of dollars a year would be counterproductive, and the mayor has advocated that we not do that.”
Three vetoes in three years. All three held. The first struck down a snap curfew ordinance. The second killed a proposed ban on hemp-derived products sold across Chicago. The third, confirmed dead Wednesday, preserved the tipped-wage schedule that the restaurant industry had been trying to freeze since 2026 began.
Johnson’s broader record at City Hall is shakier. His last two city budgets required grinding fights. The City Council rejected his corporate head tax outright. An alternative budget passed over his objections. But on the veto, he’s been untouchable, and that record is now three for three. It doesn’t mean his legislative agenda gets easier. It does mean that when he sends something back, the council hasn’t been able to muster what it takes to undo it.
Proponents of the freeze, led by Illinois Restaurant Association President Sam Toia, knew the math before the session started. They didn’t have 34. They called the vote anyway.
The Illinois Restaurant Association has been among the most persistent voices arguing that a full phase-out of the subminimum wage would cost jobs and shutter neighborhood restaurants operating on thin margins. That argument didn’t move enough council members this time.
The political logic behind pushing ahead without the votes was explained by 19th Ward Ald. Matt O’Shea, whose Far Southwest Side ward shares a border with suburbs where restaurants pay lower wages than Chicago requires.
“It’s to look restaurant owners in the eye and say, ‘We fought for you and we’re going to continue to fight for you,’” O’Shea said. “Maybe that puts a little pressure on people to move away from the mayor.”
Whether that pressure builds into anything is an open question. The Economic Policy Institute has consistently found that eliminating subminimum tipped wages doesn’t produce the job losses the restaurant industry predicts. That body of research gave Johnson and his allies political cover to hold firm against the industry’s case.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the freeze’s proponents understood going in that this was a message vote as much as a genuine override attempt. That framing holds up. Thirty votes in favor of the override isn’t nothing, but it’s also four short of the threshold that matters.
For the workers whose wages are at stake, Wednesday’s failure was the outcome they needed. The phase-out timeline stays in place. The 76 percent floor O’Shea’s side wanted to lock in won’t happen, at least not through this council, not under this mayor.
Johnson’s pen held again.